Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vintage Labels

I recently came across a blog that provides the most amazing vintage clip art. But the best part is that the images are free! Even if you are not into vintage artwork, you've got to check out The Graphics Fairy blog - the images are so unique.

I decided to use some of the labels that I found to jazz up some glassware. I started off by gathering up a few glass cups, bottles and vases...



Next I printed the labels on a color laser printer and used Mod Podge to decoupage the glass. This was my first attempt at decoupaging and I have to say that it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. You can find easy how-to directions here.

Here are some lemonade glasses that I embellished with a cool vintage french label...



And here is a vase that was embellished with another vintage french label (appropriately surrounded by roses)...



Finally I used a gorgeous blue vintage label to embellish a jar of strawberry preserves...



I'm thinking about using these items as hostess gifts. There are a ton of other free items available on that blog, so definitely go and get some great stuff.


11 comments:

Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Good morning! I just had to pop over from Transformation Thursday to see what this was all about. I love the vintage labels and the different ways that you have used them - and including that link to the site with the vintage graphics was so nice of you! Stop by my blog if you ever have a moment. I'm not vintage necessarily but you might see some recipes that you'd like to try!! Ciao, bella!

Amanda @ Healthy House on the Block said...

OH my gosh, these are way too cute! I LOVE those labels! Those are such creative ways to use them. :)

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Farm Girl & Amanda - Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!

Mom2fur said...

I love those! I bought a few jars-with-handles at the thrift store a while back just like yours. And I have some Modge Podge on hand. Guess what awesome craft I'll be making very soon? Thanks so much--they are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea so much! Thank you for sharing that link for the free graphics.

Reunion Committee said...

oh these are too stinking cute! Great job they look amazing!
~Tana

Jessica said...

These are too cute! I love the lemonade glasses!

Jenn Erickson said...

I saw your lemonade glasses featured over at the Graphics Fairy and just had to come by! All of your decoupaged glass pieces are beautifully done! I particularly love the strawberry piece!

New follower,
Jenn/Rook No. 17

Sharon said...

Hi,

I found you through The Graphics Fairy :) These came out adorable! I was wondering if you can hand wash the glasses or are they mostly decorative? Very cute regardless :)

Have a great day!
Sharon

Deanna@SentimentalRedo said...

These are so cute and I have mugs just like them. Do they hold up to washing OK? The dishwasher??

Hatter and Hare Events said...

Wow - Thanks for all of the super sweet comments!

Deanna - I've actually only used the glasses once - I washed them by hand with very little soap and water only touching the insides. I've heard that there is a water-resistant decoupage glue made by Mod Podge, but I haven't tried it.

I hope this helps!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com